Translate

Sunday, February 3, 2013


3 February 2013
 
During the past two weeks at SIL in Burkina Faso I have come to realize that I have often (or usually) taken the Holy Bible for granted.

I am humbled after hearing how individual translators diligently and tirelessly labor FOR DECADES (!) often under harsh bush conditions to learn new cultures and languages and then accurately and faithfully translate the Scriptures into heart languages that have not had God's word. I need to remember to celebrate the Bible as do people groups who hold it in their hands for the very first time.

I am not a translator and I still struggle in my French studies, but I am anxious to return to Burkina to do what little I can to advance Bible translation--caring for buildings and systems or even helping to repair the luggage of a translator recently arrived from Mali.
...
I envy the young man who held the basket of bread and fishes while Christ fed the thousands--it was a small role, but the opportunity to witness a miracle. I had the opportunity to join the celebration of the completion of the translation of the Holy Bible into the Fulfuldé language. It was a similar miracle in that thousands would now be able to feed on the Bread of Life.

I cannot imagine what I would do if the Bibles in our home all disappeared and I could not recall one verse of Scripture.

No comments: